10 November 2007

Dad's birthday

Today was Dad's 65th birthday party (well yesterday my time, today his time). It's at times like these that I miss my family the most. Usually, I am absorbed in my life here, but there are rare times when I really feel the distance, like today. I'm so thankful for modern technology which allows us to keep in touch regularly - by phone, email, and Skype.

Of course, communicating via technology is not the same as seeing someone in person, but it's not like it was for my Dad's family, who emmigrated from Bohemia and whose only means of keeping in touch was writing letters, which took months to cross the ocean by ship. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for my relatives to allow their children to leave homeland and family forever, separated by an ocean that took several months to cross and without the modern luxury of internet, satellite, and telecommunication networks...all in the search of a better life.

It's definitely a great blessing to have access to technology which helps keep family close, despite the physical distance. And it's not like my giving up family and all that was familiar to me to follow God's calling is in vain. My motivation is not for the reward, even though this sacrifice has the promise of a hefty "return on investment" for something far more worthwhile than the temporal pursuit of health, wealth, and happiness; it's the pursuit of truth, a vital relationship with One who is totally worth it, and sharing His love freely with others in distant lands (Mark 10:28-30)...

No comments: