Recently, we celebrated Easter here in Ukraine, and spring finally won it's weeks-long battle with winter just in time for the holiday! Everything here closes on Easter Sunday (even the 24-7 shops) and the city lies hushed and quiet for a brief moment in time...
Our service was at 8 AM, special for the holiday, so I got up before sunrise and walked to the main bus station bus stop (not the closest to me)...and just missed catching one of the extremely few marshrutkas (mini-bus) to the city center. So, I waited and waited and waited, enjoying the absolute stillness and emptiness of the usually busy city streets and sidewalks. Finally, I realized that I would be late if I didn't just make a run for it on foot and started briskly walking to the center, thankful that my heavy 5-string bass was already at the hall and I didn't have to lug it along. Finally, just 1 stop from the center, a lone marshrutka chugged it's way to the bus stop and I got on to save the 10-15 minute remaining walk, and arrived in time! :-)
Although this year I wasn't in time to bake pascha (special Easter bread) or decorate eggs or do anything to prepare for Easter b/c of lots of extra work with a Swedish group arriving the day before Easter to do a week of orphanage outreaches, I was very thankful for the quiet time on Easter Sunday morning to enjoy the first sunshine of spring and reflect on the meaning of the celebration.
I hope you had a blessed Easter celebration! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment