29 June 2010

Expect the Unexpected

For many living the West, the unexpected is a fairly rare occurrence, probably because Western life is immersed in schedules and orderliness. In general, one knows when one will work, eat, play, sleep, go on holiday, etc. However, I find that my life is anything but that. It's an extremely rare week when I have a stable schedule, let alone my life in general.

The month of June, I had planned to recuperate from the 2 back-to-back illnesses I had, clean and repair all of the tents and equipment needed for summer camps, do overall inventory, focus on discipleship, and assist in a football (soccer) camp at the end of the month if my health permitted. However, at nearly the last minute, everything changed.

Instead of doing what I had planned and scheduled, God had other plans...to help my teammate with the sport portion of a 2-week camp for orphans (daily sport times, big camp games, and fun, short competitions during each evening service). I thought I was going there to help out just for a few days, in order to help coach softball/baseball - an unusual sport here, but one which I know very well. So, I planned to travel back and forth to the camp each day, less than 1 hour away from the city on public transport, and still be able to carry on the usual evening ministries with which I help.

Instead, I ended up there for a solid 2 weeks, only traveling back and forth for Sunday services and to fetch forgotten supplies. In the second week, my teammate left to help another group, leaving me and our helper to take care of things. We both got sick and struggled through a few days. Then, I prayed for help and called a friend to come and help for a day or so to finish out the camp. Thankfully, he came and greatly encouraged and helped us! Then, my teammate came back and we were able to finish strongly and make good memories with the kids. Praise God for giving us enough energy and ideas to do a decent job (although I would have liked to have done better) and for being able to spend quality time with these orphans!

I have no idea what this next month will bring... I have no idea what my schedule will be or what tasks will be given to me. There are many, many opportunities and I need God's wisdom to know what is best and what is not absolutely necessary. I would really like to go into my 3 August camps full of energy and health (something I haven't experienced at summer camps in the last 2 years)...and with everything already ready for September's long travels. But, we will see what God brings and what fits His perfect plans... Please pray for Him to show me what He would have me to do. :)

No comments: