11 June 2007

Does your tongue nourish or kill??

In one of my quiet times last week I read through Proverbs. One of the proverbs was particularly meaningful to me, "Those who love to talk will experience the consequences, for the tongue can kill or nourish life." (Prov. 18:21).

I tend to be one who talks a lot and I often don't realize the impact that my waggling tongue has on those around me. It's important to think before speaking and better yet, to think good, kind thoughts so that what comes off the tongue is not dangerous to other's. Too often I joke around or say things w/o considering the feelings and sensitivity of those who are listening. It's something I need God's grace to help me grow in for sure! :-)

An example of being on the receiving end was yesterday morning. When I woke up I felt like I had been run over by a truck. It was all I could to do drag myself out of bed after a lot of prayer. I didn't feel any better as the morning went on and perhaps b/c I was so tired and out of sorts, I was more sensitive than usual. When my friend came over to help me find some items in the bazaar, the first thing he said when he saw how tired I was "just how much can you sleep?!" Now, he was just teasing me, but at that moment it was like the last straw...it really hurt. I took it the wrong way b/c it's something I've heard from people as I've been battling w/ ongoing fatigue and illness this year. As we rode the trolleybus to the bazaar, I thought about the proverb I had read and about how often I am the cause of someone else's pain b/c of thoughtless words - not intending to hurt them, but accomplishing that nonetheless.

One little word or joke from me can set off in them a firestorm. Often I don't know what's going on inside someone's heart or what they've been struggling with lately and if I'm not careful, I can pour fuel on the fire and make a situation worse w/o even realizing it.

I used to be in the habit every morning while still lying in bed of praying for God to "guard my heart, my lips, and my mind and help me to be thoughtful, loving, and kind" - things that don't come easily to me. I realized that I have gotten out of that habit lately and need to get back into it. It's necessary to seek God's help each day - in little things as well as big things.

My desire is to be like another proverb instead, "Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body." (Prov. 16:23). And how to get there I believe starts w/ the attitude and focus of one's heart. When I see God's love for me and how much He has forgiven me, my response is one of gratitude and love. When I stop focusing on Him and focus on myself or others, my heart response is more often selfishness and pride - neither of which lend themselves to producing kind words for others. I pray that God renews in me a heart of gratitude and eyes open to see His overwhelming, undeserved love for me every day!

No comments: