19 July 2009

Weeks in a whirlwind

It has been a very hectic, busy, stressful, exhausting 2 months...

First, I went to visit my Dad's family in the Czech Republic with my parents and aunt and uncle, and then my parents came to visit me here in Ukraine for a few weeks. It was a really nice time with them and it was too quick! We were busy from morning until night with visits and some repairs (new kitchen cabinets, sink, and plants on the balcony). After seeing them off, I crashed for about a week, still struggling with lack of stamina and strength, post-illness.

Then, I started putting in very long working days planning and preparing for our biggest event, CESC (central european sportslink challenge). This 2+ week event began with a week-long sports ministry training, followed by a week of sports camps (in 4 different countries and 7 different locations). We had 32 people attend from other countries and about 20 or so from Ukraine. The day before the first wave of foreigners arrived, I was already about to collapse with exhaustion. But, thankfully, God gave me the necessary strength to keep going and finish the job, despite even longer working days and less sleep once they arrived. By Monday of this week though, my body was shutting down and I felt woozy and horrible (but not sick sick). After staying home on Tuesday and focusing on the endless administrative work (which I absolutely do NOT enjoy), I felt a little better and was able to finish the week, although I was not able to participate in the daily camps as I would have liked.

Add to that, a continuing series of mishaps and other major sources of stress during the past month, combined with the fact that organizing such events and handling administrative details is not only not my forte, but I'd rather have hives than do this kind of work...and you can get a small glimpse of what my life has been like lately. The biggest bummer was missing out on what I enjoy the most, being in the sports camps working with the kids!!! Next time, I hope that someone else steps up to the plate to do the organizing and administering so that I can do what I am good at and enjoy.

This morning, the last of the participants headed back to their respective homes, and I missed seeing them off in the morning b/c I hit the snooze button one too many times and overslept (for which my body is very grateful). I really hope that their time with us was meaningful, life-changing, and fruitful... It would be super if a at least a few of them decided to come back and spend more time with us.

Today, I'm busy getting things cleaned and re-organized and packing for tomorrow's week-long camp in the forest for handicapped children. As much as I'd like to have a few days at home to just veg and get things cleaned up after our guests left, I am looking forward to sleeping in a tent in the forest, to swimming in a clean lake, and to being able to relax the first two days of camp before needing to set up some low ropes courses and a zip-line. I am praying for two good helpers, since my usual helpers are unavailable and those that I know will be in the camp aren't the kind I'd trust someone's life to at the end of a rope without proper training...

So, the eye of the storm is quickly passing and this coming week will be not much less restful than the past one. But, God willing, the week after that will be free so that I can clean, re-organize, and rest before the last 2 camps of the summer.

Thankfully, it's all in God's capable hands, and just as He sustained and strengthened my during the past 2 months when I thought I couldn't keep going, He will continue to enable me to do what He wants me to do in the future as well.

No comments: