28 September 2009

Waylaid for a week in Warsaw

Sunrise from Old Town, Warszawa
7 days, 6 fresh bulichkyi, 5 different hostels, 4 new sights, 3 lessons learned, 2 sore legs, and 1 unexpected adventure!

I've just spent an unexpected week in Warsaw, waylaid by red tape...and as usual, I don't ever need to seek out adventure, it always has a way of finding me no matter how hard I try to hide! ;-)

On a Tuesday evening, I traveled by overnight train to Warsaw to apply for a new visa to continue to live here, expecting to arrive on Wednesday morning, go to the consulate, receive a new visa, and return home on the evening train (as has been my previous experience). So, I didn't take anything extra with me except for a change of undies (thankfully!).

The adventures began on the train... I was assigned a lower berth in a compartment alone with a very creepy young man. I had been praying that God would protect me whilst traveling alone - and He soon answered in an interesting way. About 5 minutes after the train left the station, the conductor came 'round and asked if I'd be willing to move to the next compartment b/c she needed a place with 3 berths together for a family. I said, "sure, no problem," and moved to an upper berth in the next compartment. As it turned out, there was a very nice girl and an older man already in the compartment (which was much, much safer than the creepy young man). A few minutes later, the conductor came by again to say that I could return to my original berth b/c she didn't need the spaces anymore. But, not wanting to be stuck with a creepy guy, I asked to stay in the new berth and thankfully, she agreed.

The next morning (Wednesday), the adventures continued with almost a 2 hour delay. I was worried that I'd be too late to get to the consulate in time to get everything done since they were only open until noon. As it turned out, there was no need to worry about being in time... After asking a nice old lady about which tram to take to the consulate (the one listed on their site no longer exists), I arrived at the consulate, only to find out that as of the 1st of August, it is CLOSED on Wednesdays! Story of my life...

Well, I figured that wasn't a problem since I had written down the names and addresses of several youth hostels and could easily spend the night and then leave on the afternoon train the next day.

I easily found the hostel, arranged for a bed, left my bag at the reception desk, and wandered around Warsaw looking for something new to see (since I've been in Warsaw more than a dozen times and seen most of what there is to see within walking distance of the central train station).

The next morning, I got up before the crack of dawn and was waiting in front of the consulate by 7 AM, barely being the 1st in line. By 8:30 AM, the line had grown to about 15 people, and then the door buzzed and I unsuccessfully tried to pull it open, not realizing that it was a "push" door (LOL).

I handed in my documents and passport, and then received a great shock... The lady asked why I was in Poland. I replied "to apply for a new visa" and she then said that they only give visas to Polish citizens or people who work in Poland and I must go to the US to apply for a visa. What?! This was something new... Every year I have applied for and received a visa in various countries other than the US. I won't go into our discussion about where my visas came from (NOT from the US according to the visas, and the opposite according to her). So, I opened my mouth, and out came, "but I opened a visa here in 2006" - and "if I had only known before, I just didn't know!" - God gave wisdom not to contradict what she had said, yet still tell the truth, and to be a clueless person (which I really was).

Thankfully, after that, she agreed to give the visa just this once, but next time I must travel to the US to apply. Then, she said that the visa would be ready next Thursday the 24th (8 days from that day). I gasped again with shock and asked if there was any possible way to get it done sooner b/c I had always been able to get it that same day. Perhaps I could pay more money or ??? And the response was that they were too busy and couldn't do it any faster and the price was the same regardless. Well, I knew I had a camp starting on the next Wednesday morning and I was in charge of the games, so I really couldn't miss it. So, I explained the situation and begged for it to possibly be ready a bit sooner. Then, she agreed to give it to me on Wednesday, when they were closed, and asked when my flight was. I explained that I was traveling by train and that I really, really needed to leave on the 22nd b/c the camp started on the 23rd int he morning... Thankfully, in the end, she agreed to have it ready for me on Tuesday so that I could arrive a few hours before the camp started.

Relieved, and yet still slightly panicked, I left the consulate and thought and prayed about what to do. The thought of being stuck totally alone in Warsaw without anything to do scared me b/c I really don't do well with enforced solitude - especially without having brought something interesting to do. But, after the initial panic and trying to find a way to visit one of my friends who lives not too far from Poland (they were all away that weekend), I realized that I didn't have enough money to travel somewhere and that I'd have to stay in Warsaw by my self...with nothing to do!

Chopin concert in the park
But, praise God, the weather was super all week long and I was able to find enough to do to keep from going crazy with boredom. I had to do a bit of shopping (since 3-4 days in the same clothes day and night was making me look and smell rather like a bum), and that even turned out to be a blessing b/c I didn't need to rush (I hate shopping, but when it is required I like to take my time and not rush so as not to regret what I've bought). It also was a blessing b/c I was able to find excellent quality clothes for the same or cheaper prices than at home...

I also was able to go biking, find new parks, listen to a free outdoor Chopin concert, and most of all, relax mentally and spiritually during this enforced time away from work and friends. Although I didn't get much physical rest (from not sleeping well in the noisy hostels and having to be outside all day while the hostels were closed for cleaning, etc., and walking many kilometers in dress shoes on painful, swollen legs, etc.), I found it a surprisingly enjoyable week, despite the enforced solitude!

So, I am very thankful for answered prayers and for receiving the visa in the end, despite the many unforeseen obstacles. I am thankful for super weather and the chance to go biking (which really helped my legs heal quickly). I am thankful for safe travels and relatively inexpensive places to stay, despite the noise or not-so-ideal conditions. I am very thankful for my parent's financial help and for finding some nice clothes that fit and are good quality. And I am thankful for the extra time in the Word and prayer which I wouldn't have had had I been back home and in the midst of planning and preparations for the camp and other ministries... And most of all, I am thankful to be back and to have another year without needing to apply for a visa! :-)

No comments: