15 October 2008

Recent travels to sunny places...

This past week I had the privilege to travel to Carcavelos, Portugal for a European sports conference. It had been mostly cold, dreary, and mizzly in Ukraine since the beginning of September. After enduring the cold whilst fighting with bronchitis, I was really looking forward to traveling to warm, sunny places for a week. But before I tell you the story of my trip, there is the story of several miracles to tell...

I had gotten an invitation to attend this "once every two years" conference back in early June. However, I didn't see how I could actually attend since it would cost too much for me to go. I prayed about it and left it in God's hands. Then, in late July, a girls' group contacted me to see what they could to do help me for their holiday "Christmas in August." I couldn't think of anything other than going to this conference...but didn't think that there was any way that these young girls would be able to raise the money needed for me to go. A month later, I got an email saying that they had raise over 1000 USD for me to go! What a wonderful surprise. I was so shocked and pleased that I almost cried for joy. And what a miraculous answer to prayer!

The second part of the pre-trip miracles was in getting a visa for my friend and teammate, Vova, to go to this conference too. Just after he had given up all hope of finding sponsors, God provided the money he needed to go. So, then he had to apply for the visa, but was told that it was too late and would be impossible to get it in time. However, God is a God of miracles - and wouldn't you know it, He worked a number of small miracles so that Vova could get a visa appointment in time, translate the documents into Portuguese in time, and have all the necessary documents for the visa. And then, after a tense week of waiting and praying, the day before our flight, he got the visa to go!

So, now we come to the trip itself...

I left in the afternoon and traveled by mini-bus to Kyiv, where I was met by Vova and another friend, Lena, at the train station. We hung out together and then Vova and I took a bus to the airport where we waited all night long (and waited and waited). I don't know how many kilometers I walked in circles around the airport waiting area, but I certainly got lots of exercise despite still being sick with bronchitis! Anyway, at about 05:20 in the morning, we were able to check-in and with amazing swiftness, passed through security and border control (the fastest ever through border control in my experience - more answers to prayer!). Then, we waited some more and finally were able to board the flight to Brussels, Belgium en route to Lisbon, Portugal.

It was Vova's first time on an airplane and it was really fun for me to watch his reaction to everything and to see his face light up with pleasure at this new experience. After having flown hundreds and hundreds of times (and traveled multiple times even this year), it was neat to see it all from a fresh perspective.

Praise God, we landed safely in Brussels and were met by another friend and colleage, Leon, who guided us along the 15 minute walk to the office where he was teaching an IT class. We rested a bit, had tea, and then Vova and I set out to explore the nearby city of Leuven, a pretty university city bristling with interesting, unique architecture and delicious waffles and chocolates. We toured the city for several hours before reluctantly heading back by train to Zaventem to pick up our bags and say farewell to Leon. We returned to the airport, checked-in, went through security and were able to do a little window-shopping before sitting on our plane to Lisbon.

We arrived in Lisbon in the late evening and then waited a while for our ride. Finally, Antonio came to pick us up just as we were in the midst of sending a text message to make sure that we hadn't been forgotten (spending one night in the airport was more than enough, let alone two nights in a row!). We arrived at the Praia Mara hotel in Carcavelos, on the Atlantic coast just after sunset, ate dinner, and crashed.

The next day, we were able to explore the beach and hotel and enjoy the pool and bright, sunny weather until the conference registration began after lunch time. The conference went well and was attended by around 40 people from 21 different countries in Europe. There were 3 of us from Ukraine and a few other Slavic-speaking attendees with whom we could chat in Russian. We were extremely well fed (boy was it nice not to have to plan meals and cook for myself for a change!) and were treated to beautiful views of the ocean and sunshine during the entire conference. One afternoon, almost everyone played beach football and then walked on the beach until dinner time. I wanted to swim in the ocean so badly, after not seeing it for 2 years (the last time was at this same conference 2 years ago), but my bronchitis had gotten worse and so after listening to wise advice, I decided it would be better to forego the pleasure, much as it tore my heart to not get in the water (it's in my blood I think). I was able to capture some beautiful sunsets and was glad for the opportunity to be in a warm, sunny place after the dreariness of almost constant rain back home. On the last day, I was able to sleep in a little and rest up and then Zhenya, Vova, and I all flew home to Ukraine together on a red-eye direct to Kyiv. We finally got home about mid-day, exhausted, but thankful for a nice trip and a good time together. Praise God for His answers to prayer and for His continued care for us! :-)

No comments: